Subject: Re: [bug#34486] [PATCH 0/1] Add '--inherit' to 'guix environment'

From: Kyle Meyer <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 16 Feb 2019 17:45:11 -0500

Ricardo Wurmus <[email-masked]> writes:

> It doesn’t need to be much.  People can “save” environments with
> “--root” but they have no built-in mechanism to “load” an environment
> that has been saved like that.
>
> Loading can be done with “env /path/to/bash --init-file
> $profile/etc/profile” for activating an environment without mixing its
> environment variables into the current environment.  Merging an
> environment can be done with “source $profile/etc/profile”.  It would be
> nice if there was a simpler, unified interface for this.
>
>     guix environment --load /my/.guix-profile
>     guix environment --pure --load /my/.guix-profile
>     guix environment --container --load /my/.guix-profile

I'd be very excited to see such an interface, especially the last form.
I've been using the 'env ...' approach to work with profiles (say for a
particular project or analysis), but it'd be great to have an easy way
to point to an existing profile and say "use this profile to run this
command in a container".

I'm happy to take a stab at implementing --load (though I might know so
little that I don't realize that that is over my head at the moment :>).

-- 
Kyle