Subject: [bug#34486] [PATCH 0/1] Add '--inherit' to 'guix environment'

From: Ricardo Wurmus <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 15 Feb 2019 15:54:33 +0100

Hi,

Ludovic Courtès <[email-masked]> writes:

> This new option allows to specify additional variables to be inherited
> in a “pure” (semi-pure?) environment.
>
> The main motivation was the use of the SLURM batch scheduler, which
> defines environment variables that you need to preserve so that things
> like ‘mpirun’ work correctly.

Looks good to me.  The same is needed for Grid Engine.  Previously I
would use “env” with an installed profile for the same effect:

--8<---------------cut here---------------start------------->8---
#!/bin/bash

profile=/path/to/.guix-profile
exec /bin/env - PATH=/opt/uge/bin/lx-amd64 \
                SGE_CELL=default \
                SGE_ARCH=lx-amd64 …
                GUIX_LOCPATH=… \
                /bin/bash --init-file "$profile/etc/profile"
--8<---------------cut here---------------end--------------->8---

I guess the only thing that’s missing now is to activate an installed
environment.

--
Ricardo