Subject: bug#34484: GCL: segfault on invocation on x86_64 and i686

From: Diego Nicola Barbato <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 15 Feb 2019 09:29:31 +0100

Hello Guix,

GCL segfaults upon execution on x86_64 and i686.  This is most likely
the reason why Maxima fails to build on those architectures [0] [1].

This is what I tried:

--8<---------------cut here---------------start------------->8---

diego@GLaDOS ~$ guix build gcl
/gnu/store/5zzfw856c1acrmalsdznm1093mkvnwls-gcl-2.6.12-2.d3335e2
diego@GLaDOS ~$ /gnu/store/5zzfw856c1acrmalsdznm1093mkvnwls-gcl-2.6.12-2.d3335e2/bin/gcl
Speicherzugriffsfehler
diego@GLaDOS ~$ guix build -s i686-linux gcl
/gnu/store/cbw0k4apa6qiqfm7g9j0lzfbzfk6mxj2-gcl-2.6.12-2.d3335e2
diego@GLaDOS ~$ /gnu/store/cbw0k4apa6qiqfm7g9j0lzfbzfk6mxj2-gcl-2.6.12-2.d3335e2/bin/gcl
Speicherzugriffsfehler

--8<---------------cut here---------------end--------------->8---

I also tried building GCL locally to check if this was something
non-deterministic with the same result:

--8<---------------cut here---------------start------------->8---

diego@GLaDOS ~$ guix build gcl --check --keep-failed

[...]

phase `compress-documentation' succeeded after 0.1 seconds
note: keeping build directory `/tmp/guix-build-gcl-2.6.12-2.d3335e2.drv-4'
guix build: error: derivation `/gnu/store/kljywjw5a3wpcqk67p1isrrgy5yxgp21-gcl-2.6.12-2.d3335e2.drv' may not be deterministic: output `/gnu/store/5zzfw856c1acrmalsdznm1093mkvnwls-gcl-2.6.12-2.d3335e2' differs from ‘/gnu/store/5zzfw856c1acrmalsdznm1093mkvnwls-gcl-2.6.12-2.d3335e2-check’
diego@GLaDOS ~$ /gnu/store/5zzfw856c1acrmalsdznm1093mkvnwls-gcl-2.6.12-2.d3335e2-check/bin/gcl
Speicherzugriffsfehler
diego@GLaDOS ~$ guix build gcl -s i686-linux --check --keep-failed

[...]

phase `compress-documentation' succeeded after 0.1 seconds
note: keeping build directory `/tmp/guix-build-gcl-2.6.12-2.d3335e2.drv-3'
guix build: error: derivation `/gnu/store/p7r9c9kqf4gafik0a3q9fl0ry8hks99f-gcl-2.6.12-2.d3335e2.drv' may not be deterministic: output `/gnu/store/cbw0k4apa6qiqfm7g9j0lzfbzfk6mxj2-gcl-2.6.12-2.d3335e2' differs from ‘/gnu/store/cbw0k4apa6qiqfm7g9j0lzfbzfk6mxj2-gcl-2.6.12-2.d3335e2-check’
diego@GLaDOS ~$ /gnu/store/cbw0k4apa6qiqfm7g9j0lzfbzfk6mxj2-gcl-2.6.12-2.d3335e2-check/bin/gcl
Speicherzugriffsfehler

--8<---------------cut here---------------end--------------->8---

GCL works fine on armhf (I did not try it on aarch64).

I run Guix System (commit: 571a01d) on x86_64.

Regards,

Diego

[0]: https://berlin.guixsd.org/build/943168 (x86_64)
[1]: https://berlin.guixsd.org/build/943189 (i686)