Subject: bug#34484: closed (Re: GCL: segfault on invocation on x86_64 and i686)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Fri, 27 Sep 2019 07:01:02 +0000

Your bug report

#34484: GCL: segfault on invocation on x86_64 and i686

which was filed against the guix package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
34484: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=34484
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: GCL: segfault on invocation on x86_64 and i686
From: Diego Nicola Barbato <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 27 Sep 2019 09:00:29 +0200
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Hi Guix,

I'm closing this bug since it has been fixed a while ago as a side
effect of … something.  I don't know how it was fixed or even if it was
fixed on purpose, but I'm glad it's gone.

Regards,

Diego

Subject: GCL: segfault on invocation on x86_64 and i686
From: Diego Nicola Barbato <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 15 Feb 2019 09:29:31 +0100
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Hello Guix,

GCL segfaults upon execution on x86_64 and i686.  This is most likely
the reason why Maxima fails to build on those architectures [0] [1].

This is what I tried:

--8<---------------cut here---------------start------------->8---

diego@GLaDOS ~$ guix build gcl
/gnu/store/5zzfw856c1acrmalsdznm1093mkvnwls-gcl-2.6.12-2.d3335e2
diego@GLaDOS ~$ /gnu/store/5zzfw856c1acrmalsdznm1093mkvnwls-gcl-2.6.12-2.d3335e2/bin/gcl
Speicherzugriffsfehler
diego@GLaDOS ~$ guix build -s i686-linux gcl
/gnu/store/cbw0k4apa6qiqfm7g9j0lzfbzfk6mxj2-gcl-2.6.12-2.d3335e2
diego@GLaDOS ~$ /gnu/store/cbw0k4apa6qiqfm7g9j0lzfbzfk6mxj2-gcl-2.6.12-2.d3335e2/bin/gcl
Speicherzugriffsfehler

--8<---------------cut here---------------end--------------->8---

I also tried building GCL locally to check if this was something
non-deterministic with the same result:

--8<---------------cut here---------------start------------->8---

diego@GLaDOS ~$ guix build gcl --check --keep-failed

[...]

phase `compress-documentation' succeeded after 0.1 seconds
note: keeping build directory `/tmp/guix-build-gcl-2.6.12-2.d3335e2.drv-4'
guix build: error: derivation `/gnu/store/kljywjw5a3wpcqk67p1isrrgy5yxgp21-gcl-2.6.12-2.d3335e2.drv' may not be deterministic: output `/gnu/store/5zzfw856c1acrmalsdznm1093mkvnwls-gcl-2.6.12-2.d3335e2' differs from ‘/gnu/store/5zzfw856c1acrmalsdznm1093mkvnwls-gcl-2.6.12-2.d3335e2-check’
diego@GLaDOS ~$ /gnu/store/5zzfw856c1acrmalsdznm1093mkvnwls-gcl-2.6.12-2.d3335e2-check/bin/gcl
Speicherzugriffsfehler
diego@GLaDOS ~$ guix build gcl -s i686-linux --check --keep-failed

[...]

phase `compress-documentation' succeeded after 0.1 seconds
note: keeping build directory `/tmp/guix-build-gcl-2.6.12-2.d3335e2.drv-3'
guix build: error: derivation `/gnu/store/p7r9c9kqf4gafik0a3q9fl0ry8hks99f-gcl-2.6.12-2.d3335e2.drv' may not be deterministic: output `/gnu/store/cbw0k4apa6qiqfm7g9j0lzfbzfk6mxj2-gcl-2.6.12-2.d3335e2' differs from ‘/gnu/store/cbw0k4apa6qiqfm7g9j0lzfbzfk6mxj2-gcl-2.6.12-2.d3335e2-check’
diego@GLaDOS ~$ /gnu/store/cbw0k4apa6qiqfm7g9j0lzfbzfk6mxj2-gcl-2.6.12-2.d3335e2-check/bin/gcl
Speicherzugriffsfehler

--8<---------------cut here---------------end--------------->8---

GCL works fine on armhf (I did not try it on aarch64).

I run Guix System (commit: 571a01d) on x86_64.

Regards,

Diego

[0]: https://berlin.guixsd.org/build/943168 (x86_64)
[1]: https://berlin.guixsd.org/build/943189 (i686)