Subject: Re: bug#34478: DocView uses unlisted buffers nobody can get back to

From: Tassilo Horn <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 09 Mar 2019 18:39:13 +0100

積丹尼 Dan Jacobson <[email-masked]> writes:

Hi Dan,

> We are viewing a document in DocView, in fact a PDF attachment to a
> gnus email message.
>
> The problem is, often we wish to switch to other buffers to do other
> things, and come back to DocView to finish reading --- back and forth.
>
> But apparently the DocView designers assumed people would just read
> short tweets with it, not longer PDFs.
>
> So they use a buffer name *mm*-12345... that

It's the name Gnus chooses, not DocView.

> 1) does not appear in (C-x C-b) list-buffers.
> 2) does not get TAB completion when trying to type in

I guess it's a hidden buffer.  Those are buffers with a leading space.
Type the space and it will be shown and completed.

> The result is there is no way to find the document you were just
> reading, if you dared let it get off the screen by choosing some other
> buffer(s).

You can either save the PDF before reading (o in Gnus), or just do M-x
rename-buffer RET.  BTW, how do you get Gnus to open PDFs with DocView
in the first place?

Attachments can have a filename and a description.  So in general I'd
assume Gnus would use one of these as buffer names.  But maybe they were
missing for that attachment you are talking about?  (I guess not every
mail client does them properly.)

Do you have a sample mail which you can forward to this bug report for
testing?

Bye,
Tassilo