Subject: bug#34478: closed (Re: bug#34478: DocView uses unlisted buffers nobody can get back to)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Sat, 09 Mar 2019 20:32:02 +0000

Your bug report

#34478: DocView uses unlisted buffers nobody can get back to

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
34478: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=34478
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#34478: DocView uses unlisted buffers nobody can get back to
From: Tassilo Horn <[email-masked]>
To: 積丹尼 Dan Jacobson <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 09 Mar 2019 21:31:08 +0100
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Tassilo Horn <[email-masked]> writes:

> Attachments can have a filename and a description.  So in general I'd
> assume Gnus would use one of these as buffer names.  But maybe they
> were missing for that attachment you are talking about?  (I guess not
> every mail client does them properly.)

Now Gnus names the buffer for showing the attachment according to the
attachment's filename, e.g., "*mm* Important Document.pdf".

Bye,
Tassilo

Subject: DocView uses unlisted buffers nobody can get back to
From: 積丹尼 Dan Jacobson <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 14 Feb 2019 23:13:58 +0800
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

We are viewing a document in DocView,
in fact a PDF attachment to a gnus email message.

The problem is, often we wish to switch to other buffers to do other
things, and come back to DocView to finish reading --- back and forth.

But apparently the DocView designers assumed people would just read
short tweets with it, not longer PDFs.

So they use a buffer name *mm*-12345... that
1) does not appear in (C-x C-b) list-buffers.
2) does not get TAB completion when trying to type in

The result is there is no way to find the document you were just
reading, if you dared let it get off the screen by choosing some other
buffer(s).

The only way to continue reading is to go back to the gnus Article
buffer again, and hit RET on the attachment again, and scroll down again
to where you hopefully thought you were!