Subject: bug#34476: fluffy whitespace in the mode-line, despite it running off the screen

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 09 Jul 2019 18:43:36 +0200

積丹尼 Dan Jacobson <[email-masked]> writes:

> Here we see gnus still has fluffy whitespace in the mode-line,
> despite it running off the side of the screen.

[...]

> In such cases all whitespace should be compacted more...

I think that's a good idea; anybody got a comment here?

This could be implemented kinda simply by looking at the mode line
string after it's been generated, and shortening spaces if the text is
too long.

For instance, the mode line here says

U:**-  *unsent bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla*   All L23     (Message MML Fly A

and then I can't see any more.  The spaces before "All" and after "L23"
could be compacted in these situations...

It'd have to be a user option, of course.

-- 
(domestic pets only, the antidote for overdose, milk.)
   bloggy blog: http://lars.ingebrigtsen.no