Subject: Re: [bug#34470] [PATCH 4/8] gnu: gdm: Use absolute path for gnome-session.

From: Timothy Sample <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 04 Mar 2019 11:47:25 -0500

Hi Ludo,

Ludovic Courtès <[email-masked]> writes:

> [...]
>
>>>> * gnu/packages/gnome.scm (gdm)[arguments]: Modify the pre-configure
>>>> phase to substitute in the absolute path of gnome-session.
>>>> [inputs]: Add gnome-session.
>
> [...]
>
> GDM does seem to work without that dependency though (on current
> master); or is there missing functionality?

It turns out you committed this patch to master as
def6d6b61685f69421df80cb524ba94da5dadd42.

If I revert the commit, GDM does not work (without GNOME installed in
the system profile).

If there is a way to work around GNOME Session, I’m not clever enough to
think of it.  :(

> If we must have it though, let’s have it, and we can then see how to
> trim that closure.

I looked at this briefly when you first brought it up, because I thought
there would be something blindingly obvious that I could cut out.
Unfortunately, I didn’t find anything.  It probably can be tightened up,
it just needs to examined a bit more carefully.

-- Tim