Subject: bug#3447: suggest minibuffer M-< go to start of text

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 14 Nov 2019 15:44:51 +0200

> From: Juri Linkov <[email-masked]>
> Date: Wed, 13 Nov 2019 23:16:16 +0200
> Cc: [email-masked], Kevin Ryde <[email-masked]>
> 
> >> Moreover, we don't add defcustoms for simple key bindings
> >> because keybinding are configured with the help of define-key.
> >
> > Eli wanted the behaviour not to change by default.
> 
> Eli, do you think it would be better to change the default
> because 'C-a' and <home> already go to the end of the prompt?

No, because you are actually removing any way for users to go to the
beginning of the minibuffer.

> 0.01% of users who for some unknown reasons might prefer it
> to go to the beginning of the minibuffer, could easily rebind
> the key back with define-key one-liner.

Sorry, I don't believe that number has any basis.

I once agreed to changing the meaning of UP and DOWN arrows in the
minibuffer, through similar arguments, and since then not one day
passes that I don't regret that, because it drives me mad that
sometimes UP shows the previous history element and sometimes I need
to type M-p instead.  I'm very sorry, but this change, if done, will
have to be an opt-in change (and I prefer for it not to be done at
all).