Subject: bug#34437: Guile 2.2.4 Installation Experience

From: Brian Small <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 12 Feb 2019 00:03:24 +0900

Hello,
   Guile and its manual have been teaching me a lot. Thank you.

> Any problems with the installation should be reported to 
> [email-masked].

   I wrote up some of the details that gave me trouble while installing 
guile (GNU Guile) 2.2.4. (fn:1)

   For Debian 9 Guile 2.2 seems to require an installation of Guile 2.0 
for shared libraries.

   Maybe most people that use Guile are developers and already have 
-devel packages installed:

> When the messages said I needed libtdl or libunistring, I really needed 
> libtdl-dev and libunistring-dev.

   For Debian:

> The installation process mentioned the need for bdw-gc. A search( 
> showed me that Debian's libgc-dev package would work so a quick # 
> apt-get install libgc-dev let me avoid longer download, configure and 
> make process.

> The need for libffi was, like libtdl and libunistring, met by Debian's 
> -dev package # apt-get install libffi-dev.

  I hope this mail will help and not just distract. Eventually I'd like 
to use Guile Scheme for basic programming education. The smoother the 
installation process goes for non-developers, the more likely it is that 
the Guile Scheme notation will be good for general education, the way 
Lancelot Hogben in _Mathematics for the Millions_ about the importance 
of notation.

   Take it easy,
                  Brian Small

  - (fn:1) https://write.as/bs2gs/installing-guile-2-2-4-on-two-computers

-----------------

Brian Small

  On-line Writings:
             https://ruhrspora.de/u/bsmall2
             https://wordsmith.social/bsmall2/
             https://write.as/bsmall2/
   On-line Photos:
             https://pixelfed.social/bsmall2
             https://snap.as/bsmall2
             https://goblinrefuge.com/mediagoblin/u/bsmall2/