Subject: Re: please make line-move-visual nil

From: Stefan Monnier <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 01 Jun 2009 18:33:33 -0400

>> I don't know if it's typical, but for most of those kinds of 
>> buffers you describe as "formatted", I think they should at
>> least set truncate-lines.

> No reason given. Why?

> Why should Buffer List or Info or Man output or grep output or C code
> or Java code buffers have `truncate-lines' turned on? Because newlines
> are intentionally positioned in such modes, they should use
> `truncate-lines'? Why would that be?

Just goes to show that I misunderstood your notion of "formatted".
I was thinking of buffers like pcl-cvs, VC, dired, buffer-list, ibuffer,
... Not info, not man, not Java, not C (not sure about grep, I like to
set it in grep, but I'm not sure if it's a good idea in general).

> Is this a diversion to some other topic? What's the relation to the
> topic at hand, which is `line-move-visual'?

When truncate-lines is non-nil, visual lines and logical lines coincide,
so line-move-visual doesn't make much difference any more (other than
for proportional text, that is).

> I proposed making the variable always buffer-local.

There would be no benefit to it:
  (set (make-local-variable <foo>) <bar>)
is the standard way for major modes to set variables.

        Stefan