Subject: RE: please make line-move-visual nil

From: "Drew Adams" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 1 Jun 2009 14:33:54 -0700

> > I proposed making the variable always buffer-local. If you 
> > don't want to do that, then yes, each mode for which nil
> > is appropriate would need to do that.
> 
> I think this is a global feature. Making it buffer local by default is
> probably not the best then.

Why? No reason given.

But you say "then", as if being a global variable is a reason it shouldn't have
a buffer-local value.

> It would be on the same level as makeing
> the binding of C-n/C-p buffer local by default.

Since we have apparently replaced the classic behavior of `next-line', so it
respects `line-move-visual', yes. (But I personally have no problem if we go
back to the classic behavior, with normal line movement in all buffers.)

If a non-nil value of `line-move-visual' is not appropriate for some (most?)
buffers, but (some people think) it is appropriate for some other buffers, then
that's the obvious conclusion: make it buffer-local.