Subject: Re: please make line-move-visual nil

From: Stefan Monnier <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 01 Jun 2009 16:11:49 -0400

> More typically (in formatted buffers), we want to reflect the use of newlines
> (they are positioned intentionally) and maintain the current column for line
> movement, but there is no single, privileged column (e.g. file name) that we
> want to constrain point to, as there is in Dired.

I don't know if it's typical, but for most of those kinds of buffers you
describe as "formatted", I think they should at least set truncate-lines.

> Each formatted buffer could individually define its own line-movement
> commands, which amounts to just binding `line-move-visual' to nil
> around a call to `next-line'.  But that would be a bit silly.
> Better to just let the variable be buffer-local.  And provide nil as
> the default value for most formatted buffers.

Any major mode is free to (set (make-local-variable 'line-move-visual) nil).
As of now, I don't think any mode bothers to do that.

> BTW, you didn't answer the questions about the poll.
> How's it coming along?  Where is it?

I can't think of any poll which would bring any satisfactory answer to
the discussion.

        Stefan