Subject: bug#34372: closed (Re: bug#34372: 27.0.50; Quoting problem in (elisp) Documentation Tips)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Thu, 07 Feb 2019 17:52:02 +0000

Your bug report

#34372: 27.0.50; Quoting problem in (elisp) Documentation Tips

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
34372: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=34372
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#34372: 27.0.50; Quoting problem in (elisp) Documentation Tips
From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
To: Stephen Berman <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 07 Feb 2019 19:51:17 +0200
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

> From: Stephen Berman <[email-masked]>
> Date: Thu, 07 Feb 2019 18:10:39 +0100
> 
> Prompted by the current thread "Quoting t and nil in docstrings" on
> emacs-devel, I noticed a display problem in the Info node (elisp)
> Documentation Tips, line 99, in the following sequence of characters:
> 
>   ‘CODE can be ‘lambda’, nil, or t’
> 
> The sequence
> 
>   CODE can be ‘lambda
> 
> is displayed with Info-quoted face, all the other characters with the
> default face.  I supposed this is a texinfo (or makeinfo) bug triggered
> by the nested quoting in the display (in the texinfo source the above
> sequence of characters is enclosed in @samp{}, except for the uttermost
> quote signs, which are only in the Info display).  In lieu of a fix for
> this bug I see two workarounds for the Emacs tips.texi file: (a) use the
> "older single-quoting convention", i.e. `lambda', which is also used in
> other examples in this very node; (b) use the @example environment
> instead of @samp, which does not add the outer quotes and displays the
> entire sequence in the default face (but then this example would look
> different from the other examples in this node that use the "older
> single-quoting convention", so maybe both (a) and (b), or change the
> quoting in the other examples).  I haven't tried to check whether there
> are other instances of this display issue in the Emacs doc.

I used the @example method.

Thanks.

Subject: 27.0.50; Quoting problem in (elisp) Documentation Tips
From: Stephen Berman <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 07 Feb 2019 18:10:39 +0100
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Prompted by the current thread "Quoting t and nil in docstrings" on
emacs-devel, I noticed a display problem in the Info node (elisp)
Documentation Tips, line 99, in the following sequence of characters:

  ‘CODE can be ‘lambda’, nil, or t’

The sequence

  CODE can be ‘lambda

is displayed with Info-quoted face, all the other characters with the
default face.  I supposed this is a texinfo (or makeinfo) bug triggered
by the nested quoting in the display (in the texinfo source the above
sequence of characters is enclosed in @samp{}, except for the uttermost
quote signs, which are only in the Info display).  In lieu of a fix for
this bug I see two workarounds for the Emacs tips.texi file: (a) use the
"older single-quoting convention", i.e. `lambda', which is also used in
other examples in this very node; (b) use the @example environment
instead of @samp, which does not add the outer quotes and displays the
entire sequence in the default face (but then this example would look
different from the other examples in this node that use the "older
single-quoting convention", so maybe both (a) and (b), or change the
quoting in the other examples).  I haven't tried to check whether there
are other instances of this display issue in the Emacs doc.

In GNU Emacs 27.0.50 (build 33, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.22.30)
 of 2019-02-02 built on rosalinde
Repository revision: 2f55b971b42d13188157331a1e514949f20ced4f
Repository branch: master
Windowing system distributor 'The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.12001000
System Description: 8.3