Subject: bug#34357: Non-Emacs feeling

From: Glenn Morris <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 06 Feb 2019 18:46:37 -0500

"Ulrich Windl" wrote:

> 1: Since some versions you cannot autocomplete the buffer you are
> visiting any more: A typical use-case is that you want to visit the
> buffer you are editing in another window, like after C-x 4 b. Now you
> must completely type the buffer name, an absolute mis-feature!

This is https://debbugs.gnu.org/12916 and bug#9598. You will find
discussion there.

> 2: When long lines are being displayed, mark up and down do not change
> the position to the next logical line (as defined by the buffer), but
> to the displayed line (subject to screen and font size). If you are at
> the beginning of a long line, and you want to move to the next line
> (maybe to insert something), this "change" is a nightmare. I know it
> can be customized, but why is the incompatible stupid setting the new
> default?

This changed in Emacs 23.1. I'm sure if you search mailing lists you
will find discussions from around that time. It was 10 years ago.

With that, I'm closing this report.