Subject: bug#34343: [PATCH] Make project--find-regexp-in-files work with remote files

From: Dmitry Gutov <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 6 Mar 2019 16:44:59 +0200

On 06.03.2019 17:33, Dmitry Gutov wrote:
>>
>> One possibility is to have two new defgenerics,
>> project-local-files and project-remote-id, and to use those
>> internally.
> 
> There's no point: generics dispatch to different backends, and I don't 
> think we want to have a separate project backend for "remote" files. 
> It's not a real type of project.

Although... I see your point now.

So we can mandate that project-files returns local names. And add a new 
method that returns remote-id corresponding to the project.

This will codify that the whole project must have one remote-id. Which 
is the assumption I asked you to make in the implementation, but it's a 
different thing to have in an API.

So I wonder if somebody has an opinion on that. Maybe we'll want to 
include remote files as "external roots" in some projects? Or files 
inside archives?

Opinions welcome.