Subject: bug#34343: [PATCH] Make project--find-regexp-in-files work with remote files

From: Dmitry Gutov <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 6 Mar 2019 16:33:11 +0200

Hi Felician,

On 06.03.2019 10:47, Felicián Németh wrote:

> So how do you envision remote system support in project.el?
> 
> One possibility is to have two new defgenerics,
> project-local-files and project-remote-id, and to use those
> internally.

There's no point: generics dispatch to different backends, and I don't 
think we want to have a separate project backend for "remote" files. 
It's not a real type of project.

> But I don't see how project-files could be changed in
> a backward compatible manner.  New/updated backends don't have to
> implement p-files, because the result can be constructed using
> p-local-files and p-remote-id.  But for old backends that only
> implement project-files it's the other way around: p-local-files
> and p-remote-id should rely on p-files to calculate their return
> values.

The way to do that is to either pass the remote-ness information via 
composite return values or a global variable.

I don't think using default-directory is viable for that purpose, 
though: the "current project" is allowed to be in a totally different 
directory. So I'll mull it over a little bit more (if you're not in a 
hurry, of course), and then probably commit one of your patches. Thank you.