Subject: Re: bug#34343: [PATCH] Make project--find-regexp-in-files work with remote files

From: Felicián Németh <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 6 Mar 2019 08:47:00 +0100

Hi Dmitry,

> > Some kind of alternative would be to only use the local names until
> > the end, and keep the remote id in one place only. E.g. in
> > default-directory.
>
> Well, I don't know the internal logic in project.el. But indeed, it is
> an option to work only with the local file names, and to prepend the
> remote part of default-directory at the very end to the results. This
> must be done consequently, everywhere.

So how do you envision remote system support in project.el?

One possibility is to have two new defgenerics,
project-local-files and project-remote-id, and to use those
internally.  But I don't see how project-files could be changed in
a backward compatible manner.  New/updated backends don't have to
implement p-files, because the result can be constructed using
p-local-files and p-remote-id.  But for old backends that only
implement project-files it's the other way around: p-local-files
and p-remote-id should rely on p-files to calculate their return
values.

What do you think?

Thanks,
Felicián