Subject: Re: bug#34343: [PATCH] Make project--find-regexp-in-files work with remote files

From: Michael Albinus <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 27 Feb 2019 10:15:59 +0100

Dmitry Gutov <[email-masked]> writes:

Hi Dmitry,

> Thank you. Before I apply this, I'd like to clarify one question with
> Tramp's maintainer.
>
> Michael, do you think it's doing the right thing, conceptually?
>
> We first call the process in project-files, then process the returned
> files names to make them remote (if necessary).
>
> Then, in project--find-regexp-in-files parses the files names again to
> extract the remote id and the local names, does the process calls and
> prepends the remote id again.
>
> Some kind of alternative would be to only use the local names until
> the end, and keep the remote id in one place only. E.g. in
> default-directory.

Well, I don't know the internal logic in project.el. But indeed, it is
an option to work only with the local file names, and to prepend the
remote part of default-directory at the very end to the results. This
must be done consequently, everywhere.

Best regards, Michael.