Subject: Re: bug#34338: 26.1; delete-file return codes and failures

From: Stefan Kangas <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 08 Nov 2019 14:00:09 +0100

tags 34338 - wontfix
reopen 34338
thanks

Boruch Baum <[email-masked]> writes:

> On 2019-10-30 23:52, Stefan Kangas wrote:
>> Boruch Baum <[email-masked]> writes:
>>
>> Do you have a use-case in mind here?  Can't the caller just check using
>> 'file-exists-p' if it matters instead?
>
> It _should_ *always* matter. Did you delete the file or not? If it didn't
> matter, why waste your time attempting the deletion?

I think Eli answered this point well, and I still think a use-case
would have been helpful here.  If I was trying to convince people to
spend time on this, I would try to provide a code example where the
suggested change would simplify the code and/or make maintenance
easier.

> Having delete-file return the value is: a) consistent with what I think
> is the expectation of most CS folks;

Not sure if I'm like most CS folks, but that wasn't my expectation.
IME, this works differently in different languages.

> b) the most efficient, since it already knows the exact point of any
> failure, and basically just passes the return value it gets from the
> underlying OS.

That's a good point.

In any case, I closed the bug in the belief that there was nothing
more to do here given the lack of response.  I'm not against the
change as such.

I've therefore reopened the bug in the hope that someone would want to
take a crack at implementing this.  Boruch, perhaps you could consider
volunteering?

Best regards,
Stefan Kangas