Subject: bug#34335: 27.0.50; Tramp ssh hangs

From: John Shahid <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 05 Feb 2019 09:31:43 -0500

After pulling the recent Emacs master, I cannot use tramp with the ssh
anymore.  When I try to use it, Emacs just hangs until I quit
(i.e. C-g).  Attached tramp logs with 'tramp-verbose' set to 10.  I
tried this twice and attached the logs from both attempts.

In GNU Emacs 27.0.50 (build 3, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.24.4)
 of 2019-02-05 built on amun
Repository revision: d05074b0f342b0a3b460affb076f616e8f51515c
Repository branch: wtf
Windowing system distributor 'The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.12003000
System Description: Arch Linux

Recent messages:
Tramp: Opening connection for dev using ssh...failed
Quit [5 times]
Mark set [2 times]
Saved text until "ration (expand-file-name /ssh:dev: nil)
"
(New file)
Mark set
Mark saved where search started [2 times]
Saving file /home/jvshahid/broken-tramp-2...
Wrote /home/jvshahid/broken-tramp-2

Configured using:
 'configure --prefix=/home/jvshahid/bin/emacs-broken-tramp
 PKG_CONFIG_PATH=/home/jvshahid/.gvm/pkgsets/go1.11.1/global/overlay/lib/pkgconfig:'

Configured features:
XPM JPEG TIFF GIF PNG RSVG IMAGEMAGICK SOUND GPM DBUS GSETTINGS GLIB
NOTIFY INOTIFY ACL GNUTLS LIBXML2 FREETYPE M17N_FLT LIBOTF XFT ZLIB
TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS GTK3 X11 XDBE XIM THREADS LIBSYSTEMD JSON PDUMPER
LCMS2 GMP

Important settings:
  value of $LC_COLLATE: en_US.UTF-8
  value of $LC_CTYPE: en_US.UTF-8
  value of $LC_MESSAGES: en_US.UTF-8
  value of $LC_MONETARY: en_US.UTF-8
  value of $LC_NUMERIC: en_US.UTF-8
  value of $LC_TIME: en_US.UTF-8
  value of $LANG: en_US.UTF-8
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Fundamental

Minor modes in effect:
  show-paren-mode: t
  display-battery-mode: t
  flx-ido-mode: t
  global-company-mode: t
  company-mode: t
  async-bytecomp-package-mode: t
  winner-mode: t
  global-auto-revert-mode: t
  savehist-mode: t
  display-time-mode: t
  direnv-mode: t
  shell-dirtrack-mode: t
  projectile-mode: t
  straight-use-package-mode: t
  straight-package-neutering-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  column-number-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t
  auto-save-visited-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
/home/jvshahid/.emacs.d/straight/build/jsonrpc/jsonrpc hides /home/jvshahid/bin/emacs-broken-tramp/share/emacs/27.0.50/lisp/jsonrpc
/home/jvshahid/.emacs.d/straight/build/flymake/flymake hides /home/jvshahid/bin/emacs-broken-tramp/share/emacs/27.0.50/lisp/progmodes/flymake
/home/jvshahid/.emacs.d/straight/build/cl-lib/cl-lib hides /home/jvshahid/bin/emacs-broken-tramp/share/emacs/27.0.50/lisp/emacs-lisp/cl-lib
/home/jvshahid/.emacs.d/straight/build/let-alist/let-alist hides /home/jvshahid/bin/emacs-broken-tramp/share/emacs/27.0.50/lisp/emacs-lisp/let-alist
/home/jvshahid/.emacs.d/straight/build/seq/seq hides /home/jvshahid/bin/emacs-broken-tramp/share/emacs/27.0.50/lisp/emacs-lisp/seq
/home/jvshahid/.emacs.d/straight/build/cl-generic/cl-generic hides /home/jvshahid/bin/emacs-broken-tramp/share/emacs/27.0.50/lisp/emacs-lisp/cl-generic

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug message rmc puny rfc822 mml mml-sec epa
derived epg gnus-util rmail rmail-loaddefs mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode
mail-parse rfc2231 mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader sendmail rfc2047
rfc2045 ietf-drums mm-util mail-prsvr mail-utils files-x noutline
outline time-date misearch multi-isearch cus-edit wid-edit cl-print
tramp-adb tramp-archive tramp-ftp tramp-gvfs zeroconf url-util dbus xml
help-fns windmove em-unix em-term term disp-table ehelp em-script
em-prompt em-ls em-hist em-pred em-glob em-dirs em-cmpl em-basic
em-banner em-alias esh-var esh-cmd esh-opt esh-io esh-ext esh-proc
esh-arg esh-groups eshell esh-module esh-mode esh-util helm-command
helm-elisp helm-eval edebug backtrace helm-info helm-mode tramp-cmds
parinfer-ext paredit parinfer ediff-merg ediff-wind ediff-diff
ediff-mult ediff-help ediff-init ediff-util ediff mode-local find-func
parinferlib dired-x dired dired-loaddefs paren battery cus-start
cus-load flx-ido flx floobits-autoloads highlight-autoloads
arduino-mode-autoloads ede/auto rust-mode-autoloads
flycheck-clojure-autoloads cider-autoloads sesman-autoloads
spinner-autoloads queue-autoloads clojure-mode-autoloads
parinfer-autoloads paredit-autoloads ginkgo-mode-autoloads
go-rename-autoloads company-go-autoloads go-eldoc-autoloads
go-guru-autoloads go-mode-autoloads robe-autoloads inf-ruby-autoloads
rvm-autoloads eglot-autoloads flymake-autoloads jsonrpc-autoloads
company-oddmuse company-keywords company-etags etags multifile generator
xref project company-gtags company-dabbrev-code company-dabbrev
company-files company-capf company-cmake company-xcode company-clang
company-semantic company-eclim company-template company-bbdb company
company-autoloads emms-autoloads pianobar-autoloads eshell-z-autoloads
cl helm-config helm-easymenu async-bytecomp helm-projectile helm-files
helm-tags helm-buffers helm-grep helm-regexp helm-utils helm-locate
helm-help helm-types helm helm-source eieio-compat helm-multi-match
helm-lib async helm-projectile-autoloads helm-autoloads
helm-core-autoloads popup-autoloads git-link-autoloads magit-autoloads
magit-popup-autoloads git-commit-autoloads exwm-randr xcb-randr
exwm-config ido exwm exwm-input xcb-keysyms xcb-xkb exwm-manage
exwm-floating xcb-cursor xcb-render exwm-layout exwm-workspace exwm-core
xcb-ewmh xcb-icccm xcb xcb-xproto xcb-types xcb-debug exwm-autoloads
xelb-autoloads cl-generic-autoloads tango-dark-theme warnings server
winner edmacro kmacro autorevert filenotify savehist time direnv dash
tramp-cache tramp-sh tramp tramp-loaddefs trampver tramp-compat
ucs-normalize shell pcomplete parse-time format-spec advice projectile
grep ibuf-ext ibuffer ibuffer-loaddefs direnv-autoloads
with-editor-autoloads async-autoloads edit-indirect-autoloads
concourse-mode-autoloads hierarchy-autoloads flx-ido-autoloads
flx-autoloads wgrep-autoloads flycheck-autoloads seq-autoloads
let-alist-autoloads dash-autoloads ace-window-autoloads avy-autoloads
dockerfile-mode-autoloads s-autoloads yasnippet-snippets-autoloads
yasnippet-autoloads protobuf-mode-autoloads markdown-mode-autoloads
yaml-mode-autoloads etags-select-autoloads projectile-autoloads
pkg-info-autoloads epl-autoloads debbugs-autoloads cl-lib-autoloads
finder-inf straight-autoloads rx compile comint ansi-color ring cl-extra
straight info autoload radix-tree lisp-mnt easy-mmode pcase subr-x
checkdoc thingatpt help-mode elec-pair mule-util package easymenu
epg-config url-handlers url-parse auth-source cl-seq eieio eieio-core
cl-macs eieio-loaddefs password-cache json map url-vars seq byte-opt gv
bytecomp byte-compile cconv cl-loaddefs cl-lib tooltip eldoc electric
uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type mwheel term/x-win x-win
term/common-win x-dnd tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe
tabulated-list replace newcomment text-mode elisp-mode lisp-mode
prog-mode register page menu-bar rfn-eshadow isearch timer select
scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax facemenu font-core
term/tty-colors frame cl-generic cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang
vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese eucjp-ms cp51932
hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian cyrillic
chinese composite charscript charprop case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook
help simple abbrev obarray minibuffer cl-preloaded nadvice loaddefs
button faces cus-face macroexp files text-properties overlay sha1 md5
base64 format env code-pages mule custom widget hashtable-print-readable
backquote threads dbusbind inotify lcms2 dynamic-setting
system-font-setting font-render-setting move-toolbar gtk x-toolkit x
multi-tty make-network-process emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 713776 347886)
 (symbols 48 32070 21)
 (strings 32 368608 41367)
 (string-bytes 1 30569209)
 (vectors 16 83760)
 (vector-slots 8 1936379 310074)
 (floats 8 165 841)
 (intervals 56 1503 1122)
 (buffers 992 33))