Subject: bug#34320: Emacs 26.1: RAM does not get released after quitting Emacs

From: René Kuligowski <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 06 Feb 2019 21:22:33 -0100

Sorry for flooding, but I really forgot to state something more clearly 
which might be important in regard to the question whether the problems 
might be caused by library and/or general caching:

I have a parallel installation of Emacs 23 (this distro's standard 
Emacs), Emacs 25, and Emacs 26, the latter two being configured with the 
same compilation options (--prefix=/usr/local --with-x 
--with-x-toolkit=lucid --with-modules --without-tls 
--with-game-user=games) and using (almost) identical ELisp 
configurations, which means, all three use the same libraries, the same 
binary utilities, and the same ELisp where compatible.
   Those memory problems are /only/ with Emacs 26, /not/ with 25 or 23.  
Hence my strange questions and assumptions about the malloc()/free() and 
C standards used in 26.
I hope this helps.  And I'll still search for more clues to what causes 
this ;-)

Regards,
R. Kuligowski