Subject: bug#34320: Fwd: Re: bug#34320: Emacs 26.1: RAM does not get released after quitting Emacs

From: René Kuligowski <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 05 Feb 2019 11:45:29 -0100

For completeness ;-)

   I also checked thoroughly in the VFSes (/sys, /proc etc.) and ran a 
mem tracer.  The memory blocks are not freed, but stay allocated, like 
from a forgotten free() call or a severely buggy malloc() call (like the 
common issues with gcc 3.3 and 4.5).

   Since I use gcc 4.4 (quite reliable in my experience), my question 
is: is Emacs 26 using mem alloc calls which are revised/defined in 
C-2011 or C-2015 standards, and not likely to be properly available in 
older compilers?  That might be an explanation, though not exactly the 
„cure“ for the problem.

Regards,
R.Kuligowski

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: 	Re: bug#34320: Emacs 26.1: RAM does not get released after 
quitting Emacs
Date: 	Tue, 05 Feb 2019 07:34:10 -0100
From: 	René Kuligowski <[email-masked]>
To: 	Glenn Morris <[email-masked]>

Sorry, the last answer was a bit short.
Reasons why neither is the case:

doing 'ps axf | grep emacs' shows only the grep call itself.  Without
grepping, there is no hint of either emacs or a died/zombie process
eating up memory.

the '+/- cache' line of free shows the amounts I stated, the first one
is always about 1GB larger due to cache buffers.

On 04.02.2019 22:48, Glenn Morris wrote:
>  Either the process hasn't actually exited, or you are confused by memory
>  used for file cache. Ref eg https://www.linuxatemyram.com/
>
>
>