Subject: Re: [h-e-w] 23.0.93; dired encoding

From: Jason Rumney <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 01 Jun 2009 23:25:25 +0800

Eli Zaretskii wrote:

> If I'm right, this problem should show on other platforms as well, not
> just on Windows, when the owner's or group's names include non-ASCII
> characters.
>   

Other platforms don't in general use the internal ls-lisp implementation 
to generate dired buffers, and most systems use utf-8 encoding in the 
locale these days, so even if file-attributes is called somewhere else 
with 'string as its second argument, there is a good chance that Emacs 
23 will display the username correctly without decoding.

Also, while trying to test this, adduser refused to work, advising:

adduser: To avoid problems, the username should consist only of
letters, digits, underscores, periods, at signs and dashes, and not 
start with
a dash (as defined by IEEE Std 1003.1-2001).

So the probability of users on other systems running into this bug are 
fairly low.