Subject: Re: bug#34291: Some EWW patches

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 02 Feb 2019 21:53:52 +0200

> From: Nicholas Drozd <[email-masked]>
> Date: Sat, 2 Feb 2019 13:26:16 -0600
> 
> Subject: [PATCH 3/3] * lisp/net/eww.el (eww-download-callback): Fix download
>  URL path
> 
> Previously this wasn't handling download URLs correctly, resulting in
> all downloaded pages being named "!", "!(1)", etc.
> 
> Take "https://emptysqua.re/blog/getaddrinfo-cpython-mac-and-bsd/" as
> an example. `url-path-and-query' breaks this down to
> "/blog/getaddrinfo-cpython-mac-and-bsd/", and this gets passed to
> `file-name-nondirectory'. But that path looks like a directory because
> of the trailing slash, so `eww-decode-url-file-name' would end up with
> an empty string. Instead, remove the trailing slash so that a nonempty
> file name is passed in.

This log message lacks the ChangeLog-style list of functions that are
being changes, with short descriptions of the changes in each one.
(Same problem with the second patch.)

Also, please leave 2 spaces between sentences.

> -           (path (car (url-path-and-query obj)))
> +           (path (string-remove-suffix "/" (car (url-path-and-query obj))))

Please use directory-file-name here instead of string-remove-suffix.

Btw, isn't it better to remove all the leading directories, leaving
just the last component (a.k.a. the "basename")?

> * lisp/net/eww.el (eww-download)
> * doc/misc/eww.texi (Basics)

This should tell what was changed in each function/node.  See
CONTRIBUTE, and the examples in the ChangeLog files in the tree.

> +the current page. The file will be written to the directory specified
                   ^^
Two spaces between sentences, please.

> +in @code{eww-download-directory} (Default: @file{~/Downloads/}).

The "Default" part should not be capitalized (it's not a separate
sentence).

Thanks.