Subject: bug#37164: closed (Re: bug#34276: ‘guixsystem disk-image’ successfully builds a bad image)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Thu, 26 Mar 2020 22:59:02 +0000

Your bug report

#34276: Generated installation image does not include grub.

which was filed against the guix package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
34276: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=34276
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#34276: ‘guix system disk-image’ successfully builds a bad image
From: Ludovic Courtès <[email-masked]>
To: Tobias Geerinckx-Rice <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 26 Mar 2020 23:57:53 +0100
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Hi,

Ludovic Courtès <[email-masked]> skribis:

> The other option would be to create a special file in the 9p mount
> that’s shared with the host upon success, but that seems a bit hacky.

Turns out that was easily done and better than the status quo.
Done in commit be6520e6a58d7f6ee58f4cab76db9d1245410113!

Ludo’.

Subject: Generated installation image does not include grub.
From: Jesse Gibbons <[email-masked]>
To: bug-guix mailing list <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 23 Aug 2019 11:40:13 -0600
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

1. generate the install image
 guix system disk-image --file-system-type=iso9600 --verbosity=3 --
root=installation-os-x86_64.iso  --system=x86_64-linux -e '(@ (gnu
system install) installation-os)'

2. examine the resulting iso
readlink installation-os-x86_64.iso | xargs file

output: /gnu/store/3xp541s4zrxass6h6rcwfz7bc33wv84p-disk-image: DOS/MBR
boot sector; partition 1 : ID=0x83, active, start-CHS (0x0,32,33), end-
CHS (0xe3,198,58), startsector 2048, 3657239 sectors; partition 2 :
ID=0xef, start-CHS (0xe3,198,59), end-CHS (0xe8,224,16), startsector
3659287, 81921 sectors

3. Compare this output with what file says about the official
installation iso:
wget https://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/guix/guix-system-install-1.0.1.x86_64-linu
x.iso.xz
unxz guix-system-install-1.0.1.x86_64-linux.iso.xz
readlink guix-system-install-1.0.1.x86_64-linux.iso

output:guix-system-install-1.0.1.x86_64-linux.iso: DOS/MBR boot sector;
GRand Unified Bootloader, stage1 version 0x79, boot drive 0xbb, stage2
address 0x8e70, 1st sector stage2 0xb8db31c3, stage2 segment 0x201;
partition 1 : ID=0xee, start-CHS (0x0,0,2), end-CHS (0x3f6,38,4),
startsector 1, 2694403 sectors, extended partition table (last)

It appears file discovered the GRand Unified Bootloader in the official
iso but not in the generated iso.

When I try to use the generated iso in virt-manager, it claims there
are no bootable drives. I think this is because the generated iso has
no GRUB.

The manual says to specify the file gnu/system/install.scm instead of
the value (@ (gnu system install) installation-os)) but ultimately they
give guix the same value, so I think that wouldn't make a difference.

removing --system=x86_64 does not trigger a full rebuild, so it looks
like guix does not expect to build anything different.

Guix describe outputs:

Generation 47	Aug 23 2019 09:22:24	(current)
  guix d78bc23
    repository URL: https://git.savannah.gnu.org/git/guix.git
    branch: master
    commit: d78bc23411b1351ff9495a511c22b27d17f9226f

GUIX_PACKAGE_PATH="/home/jesse/Documents/broken-guix/Broken-Guix-
Packages"

Thanks
-Jesse