Subject: bug#34264: trailing whitespace in info directory

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 31 Jan 2019 16:19:33 +0200

> From: 積丹尼 Dan Jacobson
> 	<[email-masked]>
> Date: Thu, 31 Jan 2019 18:51:44 +0800
> 
> $ grep whitespace .emacs
>  show-trailing-whitespace t; been there for years, works great.
> C-h i (info "(dir) Top")
> Suddenly every few lines there shows trailing whitespace...
> Never was any there before.

Crystal ball says that DIR file is not from Emacs, it is produced by
the procedure that installs the Info manuals on your system, or
perhaps comes with the distributions you install.  Because the DIR
file which comes with Emacs doesn't have any trailing whitespace, at
least on my system.

If my crystal ball is clear today, then you should complain to the
Texinfo project, which is where the install-info program comes from.
(Not that I understand why would someone want to set
show-trailing-whitespace non-nil in Info buffers, but that's me.)