Subject: Re: bug#34263: 26.1; documentation for kmacro-insert-counter C-u is wrong

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 31 Jan 2019 17:21:13 +0200

> From: Allen Li <[email-masked]>
> Date: Thu, 31 Jan 2019 09:54:28 +0000
> 
> The documentation for the behavior of C-u argument to
> kmacro-insert-counter is wrong everywhere (both in the docstring and
> manual, and also for kmacro-start-macro-or-insert-counter).

Isn't this the same issue as the one you raised in bug#31243?  Which
is already solved in the Git repository for Emacs 26.2?

> It says that supplying C-u is the same as supplying C-u 0.  This is
> completely wrong, and has caused confusion for multiple users (I can
> dig up some links if desired).  C-u 0 inserts the current value of the
> kmacro counter without incrementing it.  C-u inserts the *previous*
> value of the kmacro counter, which is usually one less than the
> current value.

Please look at the documentation on the emacs-26 branch and tell what
exactly is wrong/unclear/confusing there.

Thanks.