Subject: bug#34263: closed (Re: bug#34263: 26.1; documentation for kmacro-insert-counter C-u is wrong)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Fri, 01 Feb 2019 15:38:02 +0000

Your bug report

#34263: 26.1; documentation for kmacro-insert-counter C-u is wrong

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
34263: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=34263
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#34263: 26.1; documentation for kmacro-insert-counter C-u is wrong
From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 01 Feb 2019 17:36:48 +0200
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

> Date: Fri, 01 Feb 2019 12:00:09 +0200
> From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
> Cc: [email-masked]
> 
> How do you suggest to define "previous" to avoid the confusion?  That
> was the reason for bug#31243.  We must add to the documentation the
> definition of "previous" that would be clear and unequivocal.

Never mind, I think I found a good way of explaining what is the
"previous" counter value, and fixed the docs accordingly.  Take a look
at the emacs-26 branch.

Thanks.

Subject: 26.1; documentation for kmacro-insert-counter C-u is wrong
From: Allen Li <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 31 Jan 2019 09:54:28 +0000
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

The documentation for the behavior of C-u argument to
kmacro-insert-counter is wrong everywhere (both in the docstring and
manual, and also for kmacro-start-macro-or-insert-counter).

It says that supplying C-u is the same as supplying C-u 0.  This is
completely wrong, and has caused confusion for multiple users (I can
dig up some links if desired).  C-u 0 inserts the current value of the
kmacro counter without incrementing it.  C-u inserts the *previous*
value of the kmacro counter, which is usually one less than the
current value.