Subject: bug#34248: characters are duplicated when executing a macro defined under input-mode

From: Platon Pronko <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 29 Jan 2019 21:20:06 +0300

Hi!

I started emacs using:

emacs -Q test.txt

where `test.txt` is an empty file. Then I performed the following actions:

M-: (activate-input-method "english-dvorak") <RET>  ;; activating the input method
C-x C-( ;; starting a macro definition
a       ;; typing a single character
C-x C-) ;; finishing a macro definition
C-X C-e ;; executing a macro

I expected to see two characters ("aa") in the buffer - one that was typed during the definition of the macro, and one that was inserted during execution of the macro.

Instead, I see three characters: "aaa" - two characters are inserted instead of one when macro executes.

I tried several other input modes, the result is the same. Each typed character is repeated twice - so for example "asdf" becomes "aassddff". And when I show macro contents using C-x C-k C-e, the following is displayed:

aa			;; self-insert-command * 2

System details below:

In GNU Emacs 26.1 (build 1, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.22.30)
  of 2018-07-05 built on juergen
System Description:	Arch Linux

Recent messages:
For information about GNU Emacs and the GNU system, type C-h C-a.

Configured using:
  'configure --prefix=/usr --sysconfdir=/etc --libexecdir=/usr/lib
  --localstatedir=/var --with-x-toolkit=gtk3 --with-xft --with-modules
  'CFLAGS=-march=x86-64 -mtune=generic -O2 -pipe -fstack-protector-strong
  -fno-plt' CPPFLAGS=-D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=2
  LDFLAGS=-Wl,-O1,--sort-common,--as-needed,-z,relro,-z,now'

Configured features:
XPM JPEG TIFF GIF PNG RSVG IMAGEMAGICK SOUND GPM DBUS GSETTINGS NOTIFY
ACL GNUTLS LIBXML2 FREETYPE M17N_FLT LIBOTF XFT ZLIB TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS
GTK3 X11 MODULES THREADS LIBSYSTEMD LCMS2

Important settings:
   value of $LC_TIME: en_SE.UTF-8
   value of $LANG: en_US.UTF-8
   locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Text

Minor modes in effect:
   tooltip-mode: t
   global-eldoc-mode: t
   electric-indent-mode: t
   mouse-wheel-mode: t
   tool-bar-mode: t
   menu-bar-mode: t
   file-name-shadow-mode: t
   global-font-lock-mode: t
   font-lock-mode: t
   auto-composition-mode: t
   auto-encryption-mode: t
   auto-compression-mode: t
   line-number-mode: t
   transient-mark-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug message rmc puny seq byte-opt gv
bytecomp byte-compile cconv cl-loaddefs cl-lib dired dired-loaddefs
format-spec rfc822 mml easymenu mml-sec password-cache epa derived epg
epg-config gnus-util rmail rmail-loaddefs mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode
mail-parse rfc2231 mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader sendmail rfc2047
rfc2045 ietf-drums mm-util mail-prsvr mail-utils term/xterm xterm
time-date elec-pair mule-util tooltip eldoc electric uniquify ediff-hook
vc-hooks lisp-float-type mwheel term/x-win x-win term/common-win x-dnd
tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list replace
newcomment text-mode elisp-mode lisp-mode prog-mode register page
menu-bar rfn-eshadow isearch timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock
font-lock syntax facemenu font-core term/tty-colors frame cl-generic
cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao
korean japanese eucjp-ms cp51932 hebrew greek romanian slovak czech
european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese composite charscript charprop
case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev obarray minibuffer
cl-preloaded nadvice loaddefs button faces cus-face macroexp files
text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule
custom widget hashtable-print-readable backquote dbusbind inotify lcms2
dynamic-setting system-font-setting font-render-setting move-toolbar gtk
x-toolkit x multi-tty make-network-process emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 99987 7711)
  (symbols 48 20455 1)
  (miscs 40 42 93)
  (strings 32 28579 1088)
  (string-bytes 1 744526)
  (vectors 16 12682)
  (vector-slots 8 451739 6126)
  (floats 8 53 297)
  (intervals 56 208 0)
  (buffers 992 12))