Subject: Re: [bug#34240] [PATCH 2/5] services: Add cups-pk-helper.

From: Christopher Baines <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 29 Jan 2019 16:56:26 +0000

Ricardo Wurmus <[email-masked]> writes:

> Christopher Baines <[email-masked]> writes:
>
>> This service integrates cups and PolicyKit. The gnome-control-center printing
>> section uses this functionality.
>>
>> * gnu/sevices/desktop.scm (cups-pk-helper-service-type): New variable.
>> (%desktop-services): Add the cups-pk-helper service.
>
> I wonder if this service is really needed or if it would be enough to
> install the package into the system profile, for example.
>
> (It looks fine to me, but I’m still curious.)

Thanks for taking a look Ricardo. I'm unsure, this DBus/Polkit stuff is
still a bit of a mystery to me. These files are put in place by the
service [1], and I think that's what makes it do stuff...

1:
/etc/dbus-1/system-services/org.opensuse.CupsPkHelper.Mechanism.service
/etc/polkit-1/actions/org.opensuse.cupspkhelper.mechanism.policy

I guess it entirely depends on the configuration for DBus and Polkit in
Guix, but I can't see similar things in /run/current-system/profile/etc/
so I'm guessing it's not currently possible to make this work through
the system profile.