Subject: bug#34236: scons does not run

From: Luther Thompson <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 28 Jan 2019 19:03:22 -0500

On Mon, 28 Jan 2019 20:11:37 +0100
Ricardo Wurmus <[email-masked]> wrote:

> Luther Thompson <[email-masked]> writes:
> 
> > scons refuses to run on my system. When I run it with or without a
> > SConscript file, I get this error message:[…]  
> 
> This should now be fixed with commit ad34338d1.

I'm still getting errors similar to before. When I use an empty
SConscript, I get this output:

---BEGIN---
scons: Reading SConscript files ...
scons: done reading SConscript files.
TypeError: a bytes-like object is required, not 'str':
  File
"/gnu/store/z5r8ka0g4iib73pr2zvkhglclzh4azp0-scons-3.0.3/lib/scons/SCons/Script/Main.py",
line 1374: _exec_main(parser, values) File
"/gnu/store/z5r8ka0g4iib73pr2zvkhglclzh4azp0-scons-3.0.3/lib/scons/SCons/Script/Main.py",
line 1337: _main(parser) File
"/gnu/store/z5r8ka0g4iib73pr2zvkhglclzh4azp0-scons-3.0.3/lib/scons/SCons/Script/Main.py",
line 1103: platform = SCons.Platform.platform_module() File
"/gnu/store/z5r8ka0g4iib73pr2zvkhglclzh4azp0-scons-3.0.3/lib/scons/SCons/Platform/__init__.py",
line 107: mod = imp.load_module(full_name, file, path, desc) File
"/gnu/store/ibxxisi81v1v3y5xc3axl4x4rx6jpzw8-python-3.7.0/lib/python3.7/imp.py",
line 235: return load_source(name, filename, file) File
"/gnu/store/ibxxisi81v1v3y5xc3axl4x4rx6jpzw8-python-3.7.0/lib/python3.7/imp.py",
line 172: module = _load(spec) File "<frozen importlib._bootstrap>",
line 696: 
  File "<frozen importlib._bootstrap>", line 677:
    
  File "<frozen importlib._bootstrap_external>", line 724:
    
  File "<frozen importlib._bootstrap_external>", line 838:
---END---

If I add only the statement `Environment()` to the SConscript, I get
this output:

---BEGIN---
scons: Reading SConscript files ...
TypeError: a bytes-like object is required, not 'str':
  File "/home/luther/test/SConstruct", line 1:
    Environment()
  File
"/gnu/store/z5r8ka0g4iib73pr2zvkhglclzh4azp0-scons-3.0.3/lib/scons/SCons/Environment.py",
line 939: platform = SCons.Platform.Platform() File
"/gnu/store/z5r8ka0g4iib73pr2zvkhglclzh4azp0-scons-3.0.3/lib/scons/SCons/Platform/__init__.py",
line 263: module = platform_module(name) File
"/gnu/store/z5r8ka0g4iib73pr2zvkhglclzh4azp0-scons-3.0.3/lib/scons/SCons/Platform/__init__.py",
line 107: mod = imp.load_module(full_name, file, path, desc) File
"/gnu/store/ibxxisi81v1v3y5xc3axl4x4rx6jpzw8-python-3.7.0/lib/python3.7/imp.py",
line 235: return load_source(name, filename, file) File
"/gnu/store/ibxxisi81v1v3y5xc3axl4x4rx6jpzw8-python-3.7.0/lib/python3.7/imp.py",
line 172: module = _load(spec) File "<frozen importlib._bootstrap>",
line 696: 
  File "<frozen importlib._bootstrap>", line 677:
    
  File "<frozen importlib._bootstrap_external>", line 724:
    
  File "<frozen importlib._bootstrap_external>", line 838:
---END---

When I run scons without a SConscript, I get the normal "No SConstruct
file found" message.

I've already tried rebooting.

Luther