Subject: bug#34235: 27.0.50; lisp profiler does not work

From: Alex Branham <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 28 Jan 2019 12:34:03 -0600

The lisp profiler (i.e. M-x profiler-start, M-x profiler-report, etc)
seems to not work for me since the pdumper got merged (or sometime
around then). I'm not using --enable-profiling when I run ./configure.

emacs -q
M-x profiler-start (set cpu mode)
C-x C-f ~/.emacs.d/init.el
M-x profiler-report

results in the profiler report buffer only having the contents:

- ...                                                               1 100%
   Automatic GC                                                     1 100%

but surely there should be more in there. More generally, it doesn't
seem to ever report anything for me, no matter how long I leave it
running for. I've got no idea if the pdumper has anything to do with
this, it just seems to have been happening since about then.

Thanks,
Alex

In GNU Emacs 27.0.50 (build 1, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.24.2)
 of 2019-01-25 built on localhost
Windowing system distributor 'The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.11906000
System Description: NixOS 18.09.1985.749a3a0d00b (Jellyfish)

Configured using:
 'configure
 --prefix=/nix/store/dw0cpqxxrnm2khnmldp7mncn6db4779p-emacs-27.0.50
 --with-modules --with-x-toolkit=gtk3 --with-xft
 CFLAGS=-DMAC_OS_X_VERSION_MAX_ALLOWED=101200'

Configured features:
XPM JPEG TIFF GIF PNG RSVG SOUND DBUS GSETTINGS GLIB NOTIFY INOTIFY
LIBSELINUX GNUTLS LIBXML2 FREETYPE M17N_FLT LIBOTF XFT ZLIB
TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS GTK3 X11 XDBE XIM MODULES THREADS LIBSYSTEMD JSON
CANNOT_DUMP GMP

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: en_US.UTF-8
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix