Subject: Re: bug#34213: 27.0.50; Menu bar requires 2 clicks, is unresponsive, or has delays on macOS Mojave

From: Alan Third <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 30 Jan 2019 19:57:14 +0000

On Sat, Jan 26, 2019 at 03:14:19PM -0700, Anthony Michael Agelastos wrote:
> 
> I noticed some awkward behavior using Emacs on macOS Mojave. I have
> tried Emacs through MacPorts and Homebrew and have observed this issue
> with all builds. Anyways, when I launch Emacs.app, click on the main
> window, and then click on "Buffers" on the menu bar, it doesn't display.
> Subsequent clicks will typically display it. During normal work, it
> seems as if activating the menu items requires 2 clicks for all of the
> pull-down menus to activate. I also attached a video showing this within
> the original ticket I created for the MacPorts project (see URL below). 
> 
> https://trac.macports.org/ticket/57931

I haven’t got round to looking at this yet. I believe something has
changed in Mojave that affects the way Emacs defers the menu click.

When the menu bar is first populated Emacs only generates the top
level menu bar. When you click on it Emacs then swallows the click and
allows lisp to generate the rest of the menu. Once it’s completed, it
reruns the click.

I think it’s supposed to be an optimisation, but it’s going wrong
somewhere.
-- 
Alan Third