Subject: bug#34211: error running container: mingetty cannot find ttys

From: Giovanni Biscuolo <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 06 Feb 2019 13:16:44 +0100

Hi!

plase is there someone else that could reproduce this issue with "guix
system container": https://issues.guix.info/issue/34211 ?

I'm still not able to run a container built using "guix system container
container-minimal.scm -r container-minimal"

I'm on guix commit: 4aeb7f34c948f32363f2ae29c6942c6328df758c

this is the simple container.scm I'm using:

--8<---------------cut here---------------start------------->8---
;; This is an operating system configuration template
;; to test containers via guix system (also on foregin distros)
;; see https://www.gnu.org/software/guix/manual/en/html_node/Invoking-guix-system.html

(use-modules (gnu))
(use-service-modules networking ssh)
(use-package-modules screen ssh emacs)

(operating-system
  (host-name "test-container")
  (timezone "Europe/Rome")
  (locale "en_US.utf8")

  ;; Boot in "legacy" BIOS mode
  (bootloader (bootloader-configuration
                (bootloader grub-bootloader)
                (target "/dev/sda")))

  (file-systems (cons (file-system
                        (device (file-system-label "guixsd"))
                        (mount-point "/")
                        (type "ext4"))
                      %base-file-systems))
  
  ;; This is where user accounts are specified.  The "root"
  ;; account is implicit, and is initially created with the
  ;; empty password.
  (users (cons (user-account
                (name "gbiscuolo")
                (comment "Giovanni Biscuolo (admin)")
                (group "users")
                (supplementary-groups '("wheel" "audio" "video"))
                (home-directory "/home/gbiscuolo"))
               %base-user-accounts))
  
  ;; Globally-installed packages.
  (packages (cons* screen openssh emacs %base-packages))

  ;; Add services to the baseline: a DHCP client and
  ;; an SSH server.
  (services (cons* (service dhcp-client-service-type)
		   (service openssh-service-type
                            (openssh-configuration
			     (x11-forwarding? #t)
                             (permit-root-login 'without-password)
                             
                             (port-number 22)))
                   %base-services)))
--8<---------------cut here---------------end--------------->8---

and this are the messages I got on running the container:

--8<---------------cut here---------------start------------->8---
registering public key '/gnu/store/4v6cxail1ajinjqsgfblan132fbw06m4-guix-0.16.0-9.4bddd12/share/guix/hydra.gnu.org.pub'...
registering public key '/gnu/store/4v6cxail1ajinjqsgfblan132fbw06m4-guix-0.16.0-9.4bddd12/share/guix/berlin.guixsd.org.pub'...
ssh-keygen: generating new host keys: RSA DSA ECDSA ED25519 
nscd: 166 monitoring file `/etc/hosts` (1)
nscd: 166 monitoring directory `/etc` (2)
nscd: 166 monitoring file `/etc/resolv.conf` (3)
nscd: 166 monitoring directory `/etc` (2)
nscd: 166 monitoring file `/etc/services` (4)
nscd: 166 monitoring directory `/etc` (2)
failed to start service 'console-font-tty1'
failed to start service 'console-font-tty2'
failed to start service 'console-font-tty3'
failed to start service 'console-font-tty4'
failed to start service 'console-font-tty5'
failed to start service 'console-font-tty6'
Feb  6 12:45:18 localhost /gnu/store/mbq93mr1vbs6za0n0yn32gfsyq1wx6xf-mingetty-1.08/sbin/mingetty[181]: tty3: No such file or directory
Feb  6 12:45:18 localhost /gnu/store/mbq93mr1vbs6za0n0yn32gfsyq1wx6xf-mingetty-1.08/sbin/mingetty[180]: tty4: No such file or directory
Feb  6 12:45:18 localhost /gnu/store/mbq93mr1vbs6za0n0yn32gfsyq1wx6xf-mingetty-1.08/sbin/mingetty[178]: tty6: No such file or directory
Feb  6 12:45:18 localhost /gnu/store/mbq93mr1vbs6za0n0yn32gfsyq1wx6xf-mingetty-1.08/sbin/mingetty[179]: tty5: No such file or directory
Feb  6 12:45:18 localhost /gnu/store/mbq93mr1vbs6za0n0yn32gfsyq1wx6xf-mingetty-1.08/sbin/mingetty[183]: tty1: No such file or directory
Feb  6 12:45:18 localhost /gnu/store/mbq93mr1vbs6za0n0yn32gfsyq1wx6xf-mingetty-1.08/sbin/mingetty[182]: tty2: No such file or directory
Feb  6 12:45:24 localhost /gnu/store/mbq93mr1vbs6za0n0yn32gfsyq1wx6xf-mingetty-1.08/sbin/mingetty[190]: tty4: No such file or directory
Feb  6 12:45:24 localhost /gnu/store/mbq93mr1vbs6za0n0yn32gfsyq1wx6xf-mingetty-1.08/sbin/mingetty[188]: tty6: No such file or directory
Feb  6 12:45:24 localhost /gnu/store/mbq93mr1vbs6za0n0yn32gfsyq1wx6xf-mingetty-1.08/sbin/mingetty[189]: tty5: No such file or directory
Feb  6 12:45:24 localhost /gnu/store/mbq93mr1vbs6za0n0yn32gfsyq1wx6xf-mingetty-1.08/sbin/mingetty[191]: tty3: No such file or directory
Feb  6 12:45:24 localhost /gnu/store/mbq93mr1vbs6za0n0yn32gfsyq1wx6xf-mingetty-1.08/sbin/mingetty[193]: tty1: No such file or directory
Feb  6 12:45:24 localhost /gnu/store/mbq93mr1vbs6za0n0yn32gfsyq1wx6xf-mingetty-1.08/sbin/mingetty[192]: tty2: No such file or directory
Feb  6 12:45:29 localhost /gnu/store/mbq93mr1vbs6za0n0yn32gfsyq1wx6xf-mingetty-1.08/sbin/mingetty[195]: tty6: No such file or directory
Feb  6 12:45:29 localhost /gnu/store/mbq93mr1vbs6za0n0yn32gfsyq1wx6xf-mingetty-1.08/sbin/mingetty[194]: tty4: No such file or directory
Feb  6 12:45:29 localhost /gnu/store/mbq93mr1vbs6za0n0yn32gfsyq1wx6xf-mingetty-1.08/sbin/mingetty[197]: tty5: No such file or directory
Feb  6 12:45:29 localhost /gnu/store/mbq93mr1vbs6za0n0yn32gfsyq1wx6xf-mingetty-1.08/sbin/mingetty[198]: tty3: No such file or directory
Feb  6 12:45:29 localhost /gnu/store/mbq93mr1vbs6za0n0yn32gfsyq1wx6xf-mingetty-1.08/sbin/mingetty[199]: tty1: No such file or directory
Feb  6 12:45:29 localhost /gnu/store/mbq93mr1vbs6za0n0yn32gfsyq1wx6xf-mingetty-1.08/sbin/mingetty[200]: tty2: No such file or directory
Feb  6 12:45:34 localhost /gnu/store/mbq93mr1vbs6za0n0yn32gfsyq1wx6xf-mingetty-1.08/sbin/mingetty[201]: tty6: No such file or directory
Feb  6 12:45:34 localhost /gnu/store/mbq93mr1vbs6za0n0yn32gfsyq1wx6xf-mingetty-1.08/sbin/mingetty[203]: tty5: No such file or directory
Feb  6 12:45:34 localhost /gnu/store/mbq93mr1vbs6za0n0yn32gfsyq1wx6xf-mingetty-1.08/sbin/mingetty[202]: tty4: No such file or directory
Feb  6 12:45:34 localhost /gnu/store/mbq93mr1vbs6za0n0yn32gfsyq1wx6xf-mingetty-1.08/sbin/mingetty[204]: tty3: No such file or directory
Feb  6 12:45:34 localhost /gnu/store/mbq93mr1vbs6za0n0yn32gfsyq1wx6xf-mingetty-1.08/sbin/mingetty[205]: tty1: No such file or directory
Feb  6 12:45:34 localhost /gnu/store/mbq93mr1vbs6za0n0yn32gfsyq1wx6xf-mingetty-1.08/sbin/mingetty[206]: tty2: No such file or directory
Feb  6 12:45:39 localhost /gnu/store/mbq93mr1vbs6za0n0yn32gfsyq1wx6xf-mingetty-1.08/sbin/mingetty[209]: tty4: No such file or directory
Feb  6 12:45:39 localhost /gnu/store/mbq93mr1vbs6za0n0yn32gfsyq1wx6xf-mingetty-1.08/sbin/mingetty[208]: tty6: No such file or directory
Feb  6 12:45:39 localhost /gnu/store/mbq93mr1vbs6za0n0yn32gfsyq1wx6xf-mingetty-1.08/sbin/mingetty[210]: tty5: No such file or directory
Feb  6 12:45:39 localhost /gnu/store/mbq93mr1vbs6za0n0yn32gfsyq1wx6xf-mingetty-1.08/sbin/mingetty[211]: tty3: No such file or directory
Feb  6 12:45:39 localhost /gnu/store/mbq93mr1vbs6za0n0yn32gfsyq1wx6xf-mingetty-1.08/sbin/mingetty[213]: tty2: No such file or directory
Feb  6 12:45:39 localhost /gnu/store/mbq93mr1vbs6za0n0yn32gfsyq1wx6xf-mingetty-1.08/sbin/mingetty[212]: tty1: No such file or directory
Feb  6 12:45:44 localhost /gnu/store/mbq93mr1vbs6za0n0yn32gfsyq1wx6xf-mingetty-1.08/sbin/mingetty[214]: tty4: No such file or directory
Feb  6 12:45:44 localhost /gnu/store/mbq93mr1vbs6za0n0yn32gfsyq1wx6xf-mingetty-1.08/sbin/mingetty[217]: tty5: No such file or directory
Feb  6 12:45:44 localhost /gnu/store/mbq93mr1vbs6za0n0yn32gfsyq1wx6xf-mingetty-1.08/sbin/mingetty[216]: tty6: No such file or directory
Feb  6 12:45:44 localhost /gnu/store/mbq93mr1vbs6za0n0yn32gfsyq1wx6xf-mingetty-1.08/sbin/mingetty[218]: tty3: No such file or directory
Feb  6 12:45:44 localhost /gnu/store/mbq93mr1vbs6za0n0yn32gfsyq1wx6xf-mingetty-1.08/sbin/mingetty[219]: tty2: No such file or directory
Feb  6 12:45:44 localhost /gnu/store/mbq93mr1vbs6za0n0yn32gfsyq1wx6xf-mingetty-1.08/sbin/mingetty[220]: tty1: No such file or directory
--8<---------------cut here---------------end--------------->8---

I have to TERM the the container since the "ttN: No such file or
directory" message loops indefinitely

Efraim Flashner was able to reproduce the issue: is my container
configuration broken

Efraim Flashner <[email-masked]> writes:

[...]

> I tested the config (after removing the references to your ssh key) on
> commit fc9c47bd7cdfd6265681e6b2c48fdb7889672bcc and I got the same
> issue. Forwarding on to bug-guix

please any hint on how to solve this issue?

Thanks!
Giovanni

-- 
Giovanni Biscuolo

Xelera IT Infrastructures