Subject: bug#34206: Pdumper giving a segfault

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 26 Jan 2019 17:18:38 +0200

> From: Compro Prasad <[email-masked]>
> Date: Sat, 26 Jan 2019 20:35:41 +0530
> Cc: [email-masked]
> 
> > > https://github.com/Compro-Prasad/spacemacs/blob/pdumper-is-in-master/core/core-dumper.el#L68
> >
> > I don't think this helps much, as I don't really know anything about
> > spacemacs and its build procedures.
> Spacemacs is just another Emacs configuration. It doesn't mess with
> the official Emacs source. This doesn't require any additional build
> steps.

But AFAITCT, it dumps Emacs from a separate file, not from loadup.el,
right?  And that separate file does something before dumping in
addition to what loadup.el does, right?  These extras is what confuses
me.  Granted, when I build Emacs from the master branch, it doesn't
segfault on startup.

> > Yes, dump-emacs-portable can only be invoked in batch mode.
> Thanks for the information.
> 
> Can you please give a simple example of the best way to dump Emacs and
> reload the dump file?

The only way I know of is to clone the Emacs Git's master branch and
build it as described in INSTALL.REPO.

> I would also appreciate any links to the Emacs info manual.

The portable dumping is described in the ELisp manual in the master
branch, see the node "Building Emacs" there.  There's also some
information in the Emacs manual, where the command-line options are
described, and in NEWS.