Subject: Re: 27.0.50; tramp hangs on wrong password with global-auto-revert-mode

From: Aaron Jensen <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 27 Jan 2019 06:34:16 -0800

It appears that the hang happens when (expand-file-name
default-directory) is hit within auto-revert-notify-add-watch for the
tramp buffer: /sudo:[email-masked]

I wonder if it's essentially trying to recursively make that tramp
connection or something along those lines?

Here's the *Messages* buffer:

Tramp: Opening connection for [email-masked] using sudo...
Tramp: Sending command ‘exec env SHELL=/bin/sh sudo -u root -s -H -p
P""a""s""s""w""o""r""d"":’
Tramp: Waiting for prompts from remote shell...
Tramp: Sending Password
expand-file-name: #("/sudo:[email-masked]:" 6 10 (tramp-default t)
11 26 (tramp-default t))
Quit
Tramp: Waiting for prompts from remote shell...failed
Tramp: Opening connection for [email-masked] using sudo...failed
Quit [15 times]

You can see where the expand-file-name happens. I believe that's where
it hangs. Spamming C-g gets out of it.

I have no idea what the right fix is for this, hopefully someone with
more tramp or auto-revert familiarity has an idea.

Thanks,

Aaron