Subject: Re: bug#34192: 26.1; Bash 5.0 breaks TRAMP sudo

From: Michael Albinus <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 08 Feb 2019 11:44:21 +0100

Allen Li <[email-masked]> writes:

>> Hi Allen,

Hi Allen,

>> > Reproduce:
>> >
>> > 1. emacs -Q
>> > 2. (setq tramp-histfile-override t)
>> > 3. C-x C-f /sudo::/ TAB <enter sudo password> RET
>>
>> Do you have some special settings in your remote .profile,
>> .bash_profile, .bash_login, or .bashrc?  Could you test with moving
>> these files away?
>
> I don't think so, as TRAMP starts /bin/sh without anything that should
> load any of those files.  I may try at some point, but again since
> there's a simple workaround I'm hitting the limit of how much effort I
> want to put into this.

I believe bash loads (some of) them automatically. Therefore, bash
knows the parameters --noprofile and --norc.

It would be very helpful for investigation, if you could move these
remote files away temporarily, and check whether the error persists.

> Perhaps more people will run into this bug once Bash 5 pushes out to
> the larger distros, or the bug will get fixed inadvertently.  I don't
> have any opinions on whether to keep this bug open or close in the
> meantime.

If it is reproducible with bash 5.0, I would like to add a not to the
Tramp manuals. At least.

Thanks for your support in testing.

Best regards, Michael.