Subject: bug#3419: 23.0.94; calc, calendar and temp-buffer-resize-mode

From: Juri Linkov <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 01 Nov 2011 11:27:20 +0200

>> When I type `M-x calc RET h h', it displays the *Help* window in the
>> Calc window that is too small to read comfortably the Help buffer.
>>
>> That's because I have in .emacs:
>> (add-to-list 'same-window-buffer-names "*Help*")
>>
>> Is it possible to display the Help buffer in another window in this case
>> when `h h' is typed in the Calc window?
>
> I'm not sure what you want, since you are explicitly telling Emacs to
> display Help in the same window.  Is that line from your .emacs for some
> other *Help* buffer, and you never want the Calc help to appear in the
> same window?  Perhaps if the Calc help were named "*Calc Help*" (or
> better, perhaps, using a variable to determine the name,
> `calc-help-buffer-name' or somesuch).  That wouldn't be hard, but
> perhaps should wait until after 24.1.

Some modes bind `same-window-buffer-names' to nil when it makes no sense
to display the *Help* or *Info* buffer in the same window when it is
too small, thus overridding the user's settings.

IIUC, with the new window rules, the right way to do this is to bind
`display-buffer-overriding-action' to `display-buffer-pop-up-window'.
But this doesn't work as expected:

(let ((display-buffer-overriding-action '(display-buffer-pop-up-window)))
  (with-output-to-temp-buffer "*Help*"
    (princ "GNU Emacs Calculator.\n")))

It still displays the *Help* buffer in the same window when
(add-to-list 'same-window-buffer-names "*Help*") is presented in .emacs.