Subject: bug#3419: 23.0.94; calc, calendar and temp-buffer-resize-mode

From: Leo <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 30 May 2009 02:43:35 +0100

On 2009-05-30 00:46 +0100, Jay Belanger wrote:
>> Packages such as calc or calendar that use a small window does not play
>> well with temp-buffer-resize-mode. i.e. their windows get enlarged by
>> temp-buffer-resize-mode. In the case of calc, the size change is
>> permanent.
>
> Calc keeps track of changes to its size, and restarts it in the last
> size that it had.  Why is that a problem?

When temp-buffer-resize-mode is enabled, `C-h v' on a variable that has
2 or 3 lines of documentation will make the calc window takes up 70-80%
of the frame. See this screen shot http://imagebin.org/50896

It might be good to track the size, but when the size change is caused
by a program instead of the user, it can be annoying.

For example, when I'm editing some file and need some calculations, I'd
like calc to take up as little screen estate as possible so that the
file is visible to help me with the calculations.

But I'm not sure whether this is a bug in calc or temp-buffer-resize-mode.

-- 
.:  Leo  :.  [ sdl.web AT gmail.com ]  .: I use Emacs :.