Subject: Re: [bug#34188] [PATCH] gnu: Add ELPA.

From: Ludovic Courtès <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 05 Feb 2019 12:19:05 +0100

Hello,

[email-masked] skribis:

> From: Eric Bavier <[email-masked]>
>
> * gnu/packages/maths.scm (elpa, elpa-openmpi): New variables.

[...]

> +    (arguments
> +     `(#:configure-flags
> +       `(;"--enable-openmp"

No OpenMP support, yet the ‘setup-tests’ phase sets OMP_NUM_THREADS.
Did you mean to uncomment it?

> +         "--with-mpi=no"
> +         ;; ELPA unfortunately does not support runtime dispatch, so we can
> +         ;; only enable the "generic" kernels.  See the "Cross compilation"
> +         ;; section of INSTALL.md.
> +         "--enable-generic"
> +         "--disable-sse" "--disable-sse-assembly" ;Require SSE3
> +         "--disable-avx" "--disable-avx2" "--disable-avx512"

For a future patch, do you think you can enable function
multi-versioning (FMV) for this code using the scripts at
<https://github.com/clearlinux/make-fmv-patch>?  That’d be pretty cool.

> +    (synopsis "Eigenvalue solvers for symmetric matrices")
> +    (description
> +     "The ELPA library provides efficient and scalable direct eigensolvers for
> +symmetric matrices.")
> +    (license license:lgpl3)))

v3 only?

Also, should we add a ‘supported-systems’ field or is it supposed to
work on any architecture?

Apart from that it LGTM, thank you!

Ludo’.