Subject: bug#34176: X200 kernel panic on S3 resume (linux-libre > 4.18.9)

From: Mike Gerwitz <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 23 Jan 2019 01:08:39 -0500

Well, I'm not getting those hours of my life back.

On Wed, Jan 23, 2019 at 00:58:57 -0500, Mike Gerwitz wrote:
> usb usb3: root hub lost power or was reset

[...]

> uhci_hcd 0000:00:1d.0: host controller process error, something bad happened!
> uhci_hcd 0000:00:1d.0: host controller halted, very bad!
> uhci_hcd 0000:00:1d.0: HC died; cleaning up

[...]

> (Which is indeed true for my hub 0000:00:1d.0, which is usb6, according
> to dmesg.)

Right after sending this message, I recalled that I used powertop to do
"auto tuning".  Sure enough, one of the lines was this:

   Good          Autosuspend for USB device UHCI Host Controller [usb6]

By disabling it, it runs this command:

  echo on > /sys/bus/usb/devices/usb6/power/control

And it resolves my suspend issues on 4.20.3-gnu.

What sucks even more is that I had disabled those settings on the USB
controllers over a year ago (because it was putting my USB keyboard to
sleep, dropping the first keypress); don't know how it got re-enabled,
but the user is probably to blame.

Sorry for the noise, everyone.  I hope that my suffering provides some
value to others.

This bug can be closed.

-- 
Mike Gerwitz
Free Software Hacker+Activist | GNU Maintainer & Volunteer
GPG: D6E9 B930 028A 6C38 F43B  2388 FEF6 3574 5E6F 6D05
https://mikegerwitz.com