Subject: bug#34170: bitcoin-core bundles leveldb

From: Maxim Cournoyer <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 13 Jul 2022 11:10:42 -0400

Hi Carl,

Carl Dong <[email-masked]> writes:

>> If desired, it would also be possible to do something in-between
>> unbundling and using bitcoin's leveldb: define a 'leveldb/bitcoin'
>> variant of the 'leveldb' package (using package/inherit or (package
>> (inherit ...) ...)), add it as input to the 'bitcoin' package and tell
>> and/or patch bitcoin's buid scripts to use that leveldb.
> Yes I think that would be a splendid idea! With regards to patching
> bitcoin’s builds scripts, Bitcoin Knots follows Bitcoin Core closely,
> but has a bunch of patches which allow for using system libs, so that
> might be good to reference:
> https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/compare/master...bitcoinknots:21.x-syslibs
> <https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/compare/master...bitcoinknots:21.x-syslibs>
>
>> As source code, use an appropriate commit from
>> <https://github.com/bitcoin-core/leveldb-subtree> (and add a comment
>> to the definition of bitcoin-core to keep leveldb/bitcoin in-sync).
>
> FYI, according to https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/17398
> <https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/17398>, we are currently
> using the upstream LevelDB commit
> 0c40829872a9f00f38e11dc370ff8adb3e19f25b

Would you like to give the idea discussed above a try and send a patch?
That'd bring closure to this old issue :-).

Thanks,

Maxim