Subject: Re: bug#34160: About commit bff64115a0ad081282e0f99305f41c8dd1917d67, bug#34160, json.el

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 01 Aug 2019 13:11:24 +0200

Tassilo Horn <[email-masked]> writes:

> It can still be a bit improved in understandability and efficiency.
>
> 1. The function passed to replace-region-contents runs on the narrowed
>    buffer anyway, so no need to narrow it yourself.
>
> 2. It would be better to create a temporary buffer, json-read repeatedly
>    from the original buffer, json-encode/insert to the temp one, and
>    then return the temp buffer.
>
> The reason for point 2 is that if the function passed to
> replace-region-contents returns a string, it'll put that in a temporary
> buffer anyhow so that it can use replace-buffer-contents to perform the
> actual replacement (replace-region-contents is just a wrapper around
> that).

Sounds like a good idea; please go ahead.

> And we might want to cater for the situation where the region starts or
> ends inside a json object by copying the buffer substring from (point)
> to end to the temp buffer in case json-read fails.  I think right now,
> we'd lose such half json objects and everything which follows them.

Yes, that sounds like a good fix.

-- 
(domestic pets only, the antidote for overdose, milk.)
   bloggy blog: http://lars.ingebrigtsen.no