Subject: bug#34160: About commit bff64115a0ad081282e0f99305f41c8dd1917d67, bug#34160, json.el

From: Tassilo Horn <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 31 Jul 2019 09:39:00 +0200

Hi Lars,

when fixing bug#34160 you've reverted my changes that made json pretty
printing use replace-region-contents.  That had the major benefit that
pretty printing the JSON object at point didn't move point.  I use that
many times a week on large JSON objects using the following command.

--8<---------------cut here---------------start------------->8---
(defun th/json-pretty-print-snippet-at-point (&optional minimize)
  "Pretty-print the json snippet at point."
  (interactive "P")
  (save-excursion
    (when-let ((beg (car (nth 9 (syntax-ppss)))))
      (goto-char beg)
      (forward-sexp)
      (when (looking-back "\n" beg)
	(backward-char))
      (json-pretty-print beg (point) minimize))))
--8<---------------cut here---------------end--------------->8---

AFAICS, the problem in bug#34160 was not caused by my changes (the user
used Emacs 24 and not a 27 snapshot) so I see no justification for
removing my feature.

Could you please reinstall the feature or describe why it is not
feasible to keep it?

Thanks,
  Tassilo