Subject: bug#34160: json-pretty-print deletes everything after first JSON object

From: Albert Heinle <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 21 Jan 2019 12:46:35 -0500

Dear Emacs-dev team,

I have observed the following behavior of the command json-pretty-print
(http://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/emacs.git/tree/lisp/json.el#n740):

Write

{"a": 1}{"b": 2}

into any Emacs buffer. Then, mark the whole section and run M-x
json-pretty-print.
The line is afterwards altered as
{
  "a": 1
}

This means, that any string after the first completely parsed JSON-object
is being removed by this function. I would consider this unexpected,
because information gets lost after calling a function that is just
supposed to prettify things.

My Emacs version:
GNU Emacs 24.5.1 (x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.18.9) of 2017-09-20
on lcy01-07, modified by Debian

I also have an Arch-linux system at home where I could also reproduce this
behavior.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Thank you very much,

Albert Heinle