Subject: [PATCH 4/4] doc: Move "Package Modules" under "Programming Interface".

From: Ludovic Courtès <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 21 Jan 2019 12:02:38 +0100

* doc/guix.texi (Package Modules): Move to...
(Programming Interface): ... here.  Turn into a section.
---
 doc/guix.texi | 128 +++++++++++++++++++++++++-------------------------
 1 file changed, 64 insertions(+), 64 deletions(-)

diff --git a/doc/guix.texi b/doc/guix.texi
index add06ec8af..251fd9b8ec 100644
--- a/doc/guix.texi
+++ b/doc/guix.texi
@@ -125,7 +125,6 @@ Project}.
 * Documentation::               Browsing software user manuals.
 * Installing Debugging Files::  Feeding the debugger.
 * Security Updates::            Deploying security fixes quickly.
-* Package Modules::             Packages from the programmer's viewpoint.
 * Bootstrapping::               GNU/Linux built from scratch.
 * Porting::                     Targeting another platform or kernel.
 * Contributing::                Your help needed!
@@ -188,6 +187,7 @@ Substitutes
 
 Programming Interface
 
+* Package Modules::             Packages from the programmer's viewpoint.
 * Defining Packages::           Defining new packages.
 * Build Systems::               Specifying how packages are built.
 * The Store::                   Manipulating the package store.
@@ -4437,6 +4437,7 @@ This chapter describes all these APIs in turn, starting from high-level
 package definitions.
 
 @menu
+* Package Modules::             Packages from the programmer's viewpoint.
 * Defining Packages::           Defining new packages.
 * Build Systems::               Specifying how packages are built.
 * The Store::                   Manipulating the package store.
@@ -4446,6 +4447,68 @@ package definitions.
 * Invoking guix repl::          Fiddling with Guix interactively.
 @end menu
 
+@node Package Modules
+@section Package Modules
+
+From a programming viewpoint, the package definitions of the
+GNU distribution are provided by Guile modules in the @code{(gnu packages
+@dots{})} name space@footnote{Note that packages under the @code{(gnu
+packages @dots{})} module name space are not necessarily ``GNU
+packages''.  This module naming scheme follows the usual Guile module
+naming convention: @code{gnu} means that these modules are distributed
+as part of the GNU system, and @code{packages} identifies modules that
+define packages.}  (@pxref{Modules, Guile modules,, guile, GNU Guile
+Reference Manual}).  For instance, the @code{(gnu packages emacs)}
+module exports a variable named @code{emacs}, which is bound to a
+@code{<package>} object (@pxref{Defining Packages}).
+
+The @code{(gnu packages @dots{})} module name space is
+automatically scanned for packages by the command-line tools.  For
+instance, when running @code{guix package -i emacs}, all the @code{(gnu
+packages @dots{})} modules are scanned until one that exports a package
+object whose name is @code{emacs} is found.  This package search
+facility is implemented in the @code{(gnu packages)} module.
+
+@cindex customization, of packages
+@cindex package module search path
+Users can store package definitions in modules with different
+names---e.g., @code{(my-packages emacs)}@footnote{Note that the file
+name and module name must match.  For instance, the @code{(my-packages
+emacs)} module must be stored in a @file{my-packages/emacs.scm} file
+relative to the load path specified with @option{--load-path} or
+@code{GUIX_PACKAGE_PATH}.  @xref{Modules and the File System,,,
+guile, GNU Guile Reference Manual}, for details.}.  There are two ways to make
+these package definitions visible to the user interfaces:
+
+@enumerate
+@item
+By adding the directory containing your package modules to the search path
+with the @code{-L} flag of @command{guix package} and other commands
+(@pxref{Common Build Options}), or by setting the @code{GUIX_PACKAGE_PATH}
+environment variable described below.
+
+@item
+By defining a @dfn{channel} and configuring @command{guix pull} so that it
+pulls from it.  A channel is essentially a Git repository containing package
+modules.  @xref{Channels}, for more information on how to define and use
+channels.
+@end enumerate
+
+@code{GUIX_PACKAGE_PATH} works similarly to other search path variables:
+
+@defvr {Environment Variable} GUIX_PACKAGE_PATH
+This is a colon-separated list of directories to search for additional
+package modules.  Directories listed in this variable take precedence
+over the own modules of the distribution.
+@end defvr
+
+The distribution is fully @dfn{bootstrapped} and @dfn{self-contained}:
+each package is built based solely on other packages in the
+distribution.  The root of this dependency graph is a small set of
+@dfn{bootstrap binaries}, provided by the @code{(gnu packages
+bootstrap)} module.  For more information on bootstrapping,
+@pxref{Bootstrapping}.
+
 @node Defining Packages
 @section Defining Packages
 
@@ -24106,69 +24169,6 @@ lsof | grep /gnu/store/.*bash
 @end example

-@node Package Modules
-@chapter Package Modules
-
-From a programming viewpoint, the package definitions of the
-GNU distribution are provided by Guile modules in the @code{(gnu packages
-@dots{})} name space@footnote{Note that packages under the @code{(gnu
-packages @dots{})} module name space are not necessarily ``GNU
-packages''.  This module naming scheme follows the usual Guile module
-naming convention: @code{gnu} means that these modules are distributed
-as part of the GNU system, and @code{packages} identifies modules that
-define packages.}  (@pxref{Modules, Guile modules,, guile, GNU Guile
-Reference Manual}).  For instance, the @code{(gnu packages emacs)}
-module exports a variable named @code{emacs}, which is bound to a
-@code{<package>} object (@pxref{Defining Packages}).
-
-The @code{(gnu packages @dots{})} module name space is
-automatically scanned for packages by the command-line tools.  For
-instance, when running @code{guix package -i emacs}, all the @code{(gnu
-packages @dots{})} modules are scanned until one that exports a package
-object whose name is @code{emacs} is found.  This package search
-facility is implemented in the @code{(gnu packages)} module.
-
-@cindex customization, of packages
-@cindex package module search path
-Users can store package definitions in modules with different
-names---e.g., @code{(my-packages emacs)}@footnote{Note that the file
-name and module name must match.  For instance, the @code{(my-packages
-emacs)} module must be stored in a @file{my-packages/emacs.scm} file
-relative to the load path specified with @option{--load-path} or
-@code{GUIX_PACKAGE_PATH}.  @xref{Modules and the File System,,,
-guile, GNU Guile Reference Manual}, for details.}.  There are two ways to make
-these package definitions visible to the user interfaces:
-
-@enumerate
-@item
-By adding the directory containing your package modules to the search path
-with the @code{-L} flag of @command{guix package} and other commands
-(@pxref{Common Build Options}), or by setting the @code{GUIX_PACKAGE_PATH}
-environment variable described below.
-
-@item
-By defining a @dfn{channel} and configuring @command{guix pull} so that it
-pulls from it.  A channel is essentially a Git repository containing package
-modules.  @xref{Channels}, for more information on how to define and use
-channels.
-@end enumerate
-
-@code{GUIX_PACKAGE_PATH} works similarly to other search path variables:
-
-@defvr {Environment Variable} GUIX_PACKAGE_PATH
-This is a colon-separated list of directories to search for additional
-package modules.  Directories listed in this variable take precedence
-over the own modules of the distribution.
-@end defvr
-
-The distribution is fully @dfn{bootstrapped} and @dfn{self-contained}:
-each package is built based solely on other packages in the
-distribution.  The root of this dependency graph is a small set of
-@dfn{bootstrap binaries}, provided by the @code{(gnu packages
-bootstrap)} module.  For more information on bootstrapping,
-@pxref{Bootstrapping}.
-
-
 @node Bootstrapping
 @chapter Bootstrapping
 
-- 
2.20.1