Subject: Re: bug#34138: 27.0.50; Delayed display of PDF file images

From: Stephen Berman <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 21 Jan 2019 21:33:25 +0100

On Mon, 21 Jan 2019 20:14:07 +0100 Andreas Politz <[email-masked]> wrote:

> Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> writes:
>
>> In any case, is it certain that once
>> pdf-view-maybe-redisplay-resized-windows starts running, the image is
>> displayed immediately without delays?
>
> I don't think that pdf-view-maybe-redisplay-resized-windows is related
> to this problem.  It does basically nothing on the first call, except
> store the window's size, i.e. no redisplay.

Yes.  What I wrote was perhaps unclear, I meant that the image is
displayed on entering pdf-view-maybe-redisplay-resized-windows but
before any of its code is run.  Just before the image appeared, the
execution was in pdf-view-redisplay, the last line of which is
(force-mode-line-update).  Then the image appears and execution enters
pdf-view-maybe-redisplay-resized-windows.

[...]
> Note, that I don't see a delay. Rather nothing seems to happen until I
> trigger a redisplay, for example via M-x.

How long do you wait?  On my machine, which is slow, it seems to take at
least 30-45 seconds or even longer, depending on the size of the file,
but eventually the image does appear without keyboard input.

Steve Berman