Subject: Re: bug#34138: 27.0.50; Delayed display of PDF file images

From: Stephen Berman <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 20 Jan 2019 16:51:41 +0100

On Sun, 20 Jan 2019 17:32:47 +0200 Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> wrote:

>> From: Stephen Berman <[email-masked]>
>> Date: Sun, 20 Jan 2019 15:55:01 +0100
>> Cc: [email-masked], Andreas Politz <[email-masked]>,
>> 	Tassilo Horn <[email-masked]>
>> 
>> > It seems that 'doc-view-new-window-function' fails in some way.  This
>> > time I have to CC Tassilo.  Maybe he has a clue.
>> 
>> I stepped through that function with Edebug but that failed to reproduce
>> the problem, instead, as expected, the "Welcome to DocView!"  message
>> was briefly shown in the buffer and then then image.
>
> I think that's expected, since you said that pressing a key ends the
> delay immediately.  And stepping with Edebug requires that you type
> keys.

That makes sense.  (Actually, I had mentioned keyboard input with
reference to pdf-view-mode, where the delay is quite long; with
doc-view-mode the delay is only a few seconds, so I hadn't try using the
keyboard, but now I did and it did in fact then immediately switch to
the "Welcome to DocView!" display briefly before displaying the image,
so keyboard input appears to have an effect with doc-view-mode as well.)

> If you configure blink-cursor-mode to never stop blinking, does the
> problem go away, per chance?

No, that made no difference either with doc-view-mode or with
pdf-view-mode.

Steve Berman