Subject: Re: bug#34138: 27.0.50; Delayed display of PDF file images

From: martin rudalics <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 20 Jan 2019 15:20:39 +0100

>> Have you tried running 'doc-view-mode' without loading
 >> 'pdf-view-mode'?
 >
 > Yes, as I noted, I also see this with -Q.

It seems that 'doc-view-new-window-function' fails in some way.  This
time I have to CC Tassilo.  Maybe he has a clue.

 > AFAICS display-buffer-split-below-and-attach is only used in the
 > defcustom pdf-annot-edit-contents-display-buffer-action, which specified
 > the "Display action when showing the edit buffer", so it's irrelevent
 > for just displaying the PDF file.  Anyway, I modified and instrumented
 > the function, but it wasn't called on visiting the file.

Thanks.

 >>> In addition, in pdf-view-mode this appears in *Message*:
 >>> Error during redisplay: (eval (pdf-misc-size-indication)) signaled
 >>> (error "Invalid image specification: nil").
 >>
 >> This should come from the 'image-display-size' call in
 >> 'pdf-view-image-size'.  Could you get a backtrace for it?
 >
 > There is no Lisp backtrace, just the "error during redisplay" message.
 > That eval expression is a modeline construct, so I guess this needs to
 > be debugged at the C level.  I could try to do that but probably need
 > guidance.  (Ah, I just saw Andreas's post that he could reproduce the
 > issue, so hopefully he can debug it.)

Could you try to insert a backtrace into some buffer instead of the
error call in 'image-display-size'?

Sorry, I don't view images, pdfs or the like with Emacs.  I can try
learning to do that but it would take some time.

martin